Data validation provides two benefits for data entry.
|Ease of data entry||Dropdown menus display possible values.|
|Accuracy of data||Prevents typos, extra spaces, etc., that would otherwise prevent functions from properly identifying values.|
➜ Try it
- Select column B, and choose Data ⇒ Data Validation.
- Enter Validation!B2:B40 for the criteria, and click Save.
- Repeat this for columns C and D.
- Select B1 through D1, choose Data Validation, and remove it from these cells.
- Repeat this for cells B3 through D3.
- Choose a location from the dropdown menu in cell C2 to see how much was spent there.